Thursday, June 28, 2012

Getting Crafty

Looking back on my posts, I guess I never updated my blog with the news that we're expecting...well, good news - we're expecting! I'm due in November, which means I'm solidly in the 2nd trimester, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the beginning stages of what's called "nesting."

For most of the pregnancy, I haven't really felt like doing much (which was great for moving right at the beginning). Although I can't complain (I haven't had any major discomfort yet), I've still been tired and just want to relax by the time I reach the end of the work day. That changed earlier this week. I decided that we need to get better at planning our meals ahead of time. The challenge is that Matt and I both take turns making dinner, but we're wired completely differently, so where I might be happy sitting down and filling out a list of meals and groceries, he's not going to want to take the time. Enter my brand new system: A menu board!

I saw this idea on Pinterest and, although I'm not the craftiest person, it looked like something I could handle. I have to say, I'm very happy with the outcome:


What I like about this menu board is it's very easy for either one of us to pick out the meals and put them up on the board. Then, I can go through and look at the back of each one (which lists the necessary ingredients) to create a shopping list. Here are pictures of the process:




So now I need to type meals & ingredients up and print them out onto cards, but I figure that can be an ongoing process as I find dinners over the years.

I also made a list of everything I want to start working on, and I have a lot of ideas about how to do them so the areas remain easy to maintain. Here's just some of what I want to get to in the next few months:

  • Organize the pantry
  • Get my bedside table set up and organized
  • Re-organize the linens (dining, bedding, towels)
  • Go through boxes in the garage
  • Organize the closet in the office
  • Organize the closet in the master bedroom
  • Find homes for everything not baby related that's currently stored in the baby's room
  • Rearrange the bookshelf in the office
We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment