Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Control & Planning

I like to know the plan. My dad must have told me, "Stick around and find out," hundreds of times when I was little. Even if it's going to change, I like to know what the plan is so I know what to expect (in fact, I've been known to plan to be spontaneous in certain instances just so there is an official plan in my head).

I often wish God would tell me what the plan is. I know that in reality, knowing what He's got planned would overwhelm me, and I'd probably try to do things my way so they wouldn't work out the way He wants them to. But I still like to know what the plan is.

I was recently reminded (yet again) that there's a lot I don't have control over. What I can control is my attitude and actions. The Bible doesn't specifically say, "Emily, this is what you should do in December 2011 or January 2012," but it does provide three actionable items that are what God wants for all of us:

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I guess that gives me three things to focus on until I find out more of the plan... 



Photo Credit: SuperFantastic

No comments:

Post a Comment