Saturday, July 5, 2014

Goodbye, Grandma

My grandma passed away a couple of days ago. She lived a long life, and I'm glad she's not in pain anymore, but it's definitely a change. 


When we booked our flight to go to California for the memorial service, my dad mentioned how it was strange, because normally one of the first things he would do once we made travel arrangements was to let her know we were coming down. She liked to know what was going on, and she liked bringing people - especially family - together.


My grandma faced a lot of challenges in her life; I'm sure more than I know about. Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if that's a major reason she made such an effort to stay connected.

Growing up, she came over for tuna sandwiches every Sunday after church. That tradition faded away as my brother and I got older, but she adapted. She embraced technology, learning enough to email me (among others) when I was in college to find out how things were going.


I also felt reassured that I knew my grandma was thinking about me throughout the year. As someone that planned ahead, she would start her Christmas shopping months in advance, and in recent years she started giving all her grandkids Target gift cards and various trinkets from her own personal collection. This past year I received an ivory cross she got in Jerusalem. I don't wear jewelry much, but I love it.

She also had a knack for picking out gifts for her great granddaughter (my daughter). Of course, we have way more stuffed animals than we need, but she loves that fluffy sheep that sings "Jesus Love Me," that little dog keychain that barks and that puffy pink & blue tickle monster.


I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad my grandma's not in pain anymore, but I'll still think of her fondly whenever I eat tuna for lunch on Sundays, when I hear that sheep sing "Jesus Love Me," or even when I receive a Target gift card. She'll definitely be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment