Friday, October 9, 2009

Someday I Want to See...

Scandinavia! Yes, I know I've been there twice...once when my family went to Norway and Sweden in 1997 and then again when I studied abroad in Norway in college. But I really want to go back, and I would love to visit Iceland and Finland as I've never been to either. Denmark would be cool, too, although it's lower on my priority list.



Last night as I was folding laundry I found two holes in one of my Norway shirts (my "Norway, land of the Vikings" one). I love that shirt, and was really sad to see the holes...so naturally I informed Matt that we'll need to go just so I can get a new shirt. This got us thinking about how much it would actually cost...needless to say, a trip to Scandinavia is out of our budget at the moment, but I can say that hotel and airfare isn't nearly as much as I thought it would be. I guess those trips start to add up once you get there and decide to do things. If I ever make it back to Norway, here are the things I would need to do (in no particular order):

  • Eat at Peppe's Pizza (I still crave their BLT pizza even though I haven't had one in 4 years).
  • Eat a kebab (those things are so good in Europe).
  • Go back to Hamar and wander around where I used to live.
  • Visit the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo (one of the ones I never quite made it to).
  • Take Matt on the Norway in a Nutshell tour.
  • Eat Chinese food in Bergen (we always eat chinese food in Bergen).
  • If we're there around this time of year, buy and drink Julebrus (Christmas soda).
  • Buy a new Norway shirt (since that's the urgency for going now...)


Obviously, that's only a partial list. If I was actually going anytime soon I would put a lot more thought into it, but those are the things I would want to do off the top of my head.

Then of course, there are the excursions to Finland and Iceland. As I've never been to either, I would need to do research to figure out what I want to do, but both sound really cool (and not just because of the weather). As I'm just as much Finn as I am Norwegian, it would be cool to see that part of the world.

I'm not quite sure why I want to go to Iceland so much...I think it's because it looked so fun in a video we watched in one of my Scandinavian Studies classes...and because that's where the team from D2: The Mighty Ducks is from...haha.



So...if anyone wants to take us on an all-expense-paid trip to Scandinavia, we would be happy to go. Although, to be honest, we'd probably be happy to go anywhere if it's all-expenses-paid...

Note: Matt thinks this sounds like a ploy to get a free trip, but it's not. I'm just sharing why I want to go to Scandinavia...again =)

No comments:

Post a Comment