Sunday, August 9, 2009

Recent Activies, Books and Movies

This post is going to be a bit of a hodge-podge of thoughts:

Recent activities
Matt and I went to the Mariner's game last night with some of my friends from college. I had a great time. Not only did I get to see Nissa, Dan, Laura and Amanda (and meet Amanda's friend Sarah who was really nice), but I also found out they sell chocolate covered strawberries at the park (which I thoroughly enjoyed in the 6th inning) AND Nissa and I made it onto the screen during the 9th inning!! We were dancing to Mambo #5, and I looked over and saw us. It was amazing. We were both so excited we started moving our hands/arms uncontrollably while Matt and Dan moved with the music (at least a little bit). That's one life dream that's been completed.

Recent books
I recently finished the book "Blessed Child" by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright. I have to say that Ted Dekker is one of my favorite authors. If I don't get into a book a chapter or two in, I'm never going to finish it, but Ted Dekker has never let me down. My all-time favorite of his was "The Circle Series," a series of three books that Matt bought me when we were engaged and I finished reading a few months after we were married. Since then I've also read "Blink" and "Blessed Child," and am almost done with "BoneMan's Daughters." Anyway,"Blessed Child" was really good. I don't want to ruin it, but I will share that I liked the descriptions of the Kingdom of God and the way one of the main characters understood God's love.

I'm excited to finish "BoneMan's Daughters" - it's much more mainstream than Dekker's other books that I've read, but I've really been enjoying it so far.

If you haven't read any of Ted Dekker's books, I would highly recommend "The Circle Series." It is probably my favorite fiction series ever.

Recent movies
Matt and I recently joined Netflix since we don't have that much to do right now and both like to watch movies. One of my favorite features is their "Instant Queue," which allows users to download movies/TV shows right away (we download them to Matt's Xbox). Although not all movies are available in the Instant Queue, it helps make up for the disappointment of receiving a DVD in the mail that wasn't as good as you anticipated. A recent example of this was when we went through our Will Smith phase (or at least I did). I really wanted to see Seven Pounds and The Pursuit of Happyness because I heard they were really good. Although I seemed to like them more than Matt, they weren't as good as I expected them to be, which actually disappointed me a little bit (I was also glad I didn't need to pay theater prices to see them, though). Fortunately we were able to hop on our Instant Queue and watch other movies that left us (or at least me) feeling less like I'd just wasted time.

No comments:

Post a Comment